Sunday, May 6, 2012

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster- gear deals

The Best Buy near me is closing. They had a nice little instrument section. I paid a visit there yesterday. They had a cool Korg synth there last week on clearance but that was gone. Actually everything was (and is, they close May 12th) on clearance. 



I started looking at guitars and basses. The best deals seemed to be on the Squier line. The "Classic Vibe" series came out a couple of years ago to much acclaim. I tried out a  Stratocaster a couple of years ago and was impressed. The street price then was $279. I've noticed the street price has gone up to $379
 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Squier%AE+-+Classic+Vibe+Stratocaster%AE+-+2-Tone+Sunburst/9328756.p?id=1218087594805&skuId=9328756&cmp=RMX
Apparently the retail price is $579!
 http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0303000503

review :
 http://shimla.hubpages.com/hub/Fender-Squier-Classic-Vibe-50s-Statocaster 


 The 50's style Strat reminds me of the 1956 Strat Eric Clapton started playing on his first solo album and the Derek and the Dominos album. I think he called it "Brownie"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_%28guitar%29 




















 

Of course, this is some of my favorite music so it's right in my wheelhouse. Best Buy had the $379 tag on it. It was a floor model that I had seen there before. I always thought if it got down in the $250 range I might consider getting it.


I asked the guy if there was anything off. He said it was down to $190! I wanted to play it first so I plugged to a nice Fender amp, dialed in a little reverb and it sounded great. It's got some dings from being a floor model and I notice a slight bit of fret buzz on the high E string but it sounds cool.  The guitar is lightweight (Gibson's are too heavy) and I love lacquered necks. I was sold.



Six months, no financing and I'm out the door. I've got my own "Brownie". lol

They also had the Telecaster model for the same price. Tempting but 1 is good for now. They had some decent Acoustics on sale too. There were some Epiphone's and I was surprised they had a Fender acoustic for $99 that sounded quite good.




Some "Brownie" tracks that I love


                                                   "Blues Power"


                                                 "Layla"




"I Looked Away"



                                



                                                               "It's Too Late"



No comments:

Post a Comment