Saturday, September 14, 2013

5 energetic 80's tunes- Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, The Romantics, Michael Stanley Band, Rolling Stones

















The second single from the Stones much maligned "Dirty Work" album. in retropect, Steve Lillywhite (of U2, Simple Minds, Big Country, Peter Gabriel, XTC fame) does seem like a strange choice for producer. I heard this one Sirius the other day. Loved it when it was out and I think it is still a great rock track. Jimmy Page on lead guitar, Bruce Springsteen's wife/backup singer Patti Scialfa on backing vocals.

       The Rolling Stones "One Hit to the Body"



 On old corny favorite from the "Born in the USA" era. A humorous sad-but-true description of a deteriorating relationship. "you used to love to drive me wild, but lately girl you get your kicks from just a drivin me down..."

   Bruce Springsteen "I'm Goin Down" live 2013



A song with the same chord progression as Springsteen's "I'm Goin Down". Another joyful passionate performance. Saw them on this tour. They had a horn section and John Cougar Mellencamp's backing singers. Don't know if they've ever been this good again..I don't care what Tom might say, Stan Lynch's drumming was a key component to their sound.

  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
   "Rebels" live 1985

 


the Michael Stanley band were kind of Cleveland's answer to Springsteen and the E Street band. They probably went more in the AOR/ Melodic Rock area. Kevin Raleigh wrote and sang some of their catchiest songs.
Michael Stanley Band
"When Your Heart Says it Right" live 1981



Saw the Romantics last weekend. 3 of the 4 original members (with Brad Elvis from the awesome Elvis Brothers on drums). 
I read an interview with producer Peter Solley. he felt this track was more a standout song than "What I like About You"

     The Romantics "When I Look in Your Eyes"


No comments:

Post a Comment