Thursday, January 17, 2013

8 great Dire Straits songs..

I remember really being drawn to Dire Straits when their first album came out. Loved "Sultans of Swing" and then "Down to the Waterline". I remember seeing a video playing at Musicland record store at Golden Ring Mall. They had something called a Video Juke box I think that played promo videos. this was a couple of years before Mtv.




I was already an Eric Clapton fan. I fell in love with Mark Knopfler's Strat playing as well. Knopfler doesn't use a pick ,he squeezes the notes out of the guitar with his fingers. Makes a big difference in the tone.
I was into hard rock at the time as well, of course, but I have always had pretty eclectic taste since I was young.
Some of the Straits stuff took patience to listen to and I grew to like and appreciate as I grew older and experienced more life. 


originally on 1980's "making Movies"
Dire Straits with Eric Clapton  
              "Solid Rock" live 1988 Concert for Mandela








Heard this one the other day on Sirius. Took me back. Great song of trying your best to be honest and care for someone but maybe they still turn away...

" If I been hard on you I never chose to be
I never wanted no one else
I tried my best to be somebody you'd be close to
Hand in hand like lovers are supposed to"


Dire Straits (also from the "Making Movies" album)  
                            "Hand in Hand"








From their second album "Communique"

"Once Upon in the West" original line-up








When I was 12 or 13 this was my favorite Dire Straits song. The verses have that "all Along the Watchtower" chord progression you can never go wrong with.

                                                               "Lady Writer"


I remember when I first heard "Money for Nothing" I thought "oh, this is the satire song on the album, just like "Industrial Disease" was on the last album (love Over Gold)".
 Except "Industrial Disease" is the better song and holds up better all these years later...

                                     "Industrial Disease"
                                                      



   The title track from "Love Over Gold" is always a beautiful piece of music


                                                    "love Over Gold"

 

I can remember when rock radio actually used to play the almost 15 minute long "telegraph Road"
I guess that would never happen these days.
 A great song, also from "Love Over Gold' always reminds me of cold winter nights, cold beer and pretty girls who might keep you warm, if you were lucky...

"You know, I'd sooner forget, but I remember those nights
When life was just a bet on a race between the lights
You had your head on my shoulder, you had your hand in my hair
Now you act a little colder, like you don't seem to care"

                                                   "Telegraph Road" (live 1983)




                 

        This is one of my favorite live performances ever recorded. I remember watching it the day it was on TV. 
There is a sense of sadness and tension to the performance. It was at the Concert for Mandela who was still imprisoned at the time (1988) + it has Eric Clapton in the band at the second guitarist for the show. If Eric Clapton is your Rhythm Guitarist, you are doing pretty well. The last 3 minutes is guitar bliss...
I remember after 9-11 I listened to this and it really hit home...
....goosebumps every time...

                 "Brother in Arms" w/Eric Clapton live 1988



No comments:

Post a Comment