Sunday, July 8, 2012

upcoming concerts of interest...

Summer is here and so is the concert season. Many bands tour during the summer.


In our area here in Maryland, here are some concerts of interest:


Tuesday night (July 10th) Def Leppard comes to Merriweather Post Pavillion.
 Lita Ford and Poison are the opening bands.
 I was fortunate enough to win tickets and a "Meet and greet" with Def Leppard. 
Unfortunately, the tickets are Lawn seats. I hate sitting on the lawn. You really can't see the band and the sound isn't that great. It's like barely being there...
 The "Meet and Greet" might be cool. I have no delusions. I'm sure it is a quick shake hands maybe get a pic taken and hopefully an autograph.


I think Lita Ford is pretty good. I look forward to hearing her set. I must admit I HATE Poison. I think they are one of the most overrated bands of all-time. I can't believe they are still around!
I do like Def Leppard. I hope they will play alot of material from "Pyromania" and "High and Dry". I could care less if they play "Pour Some Sugar on Me'.


http://www.merriweathermusic.com/schedule/#/106661/




In August, I was pleasantly surprised to find out Pat Travers is playing a small bar in Parkville.
http://www.mcavoysofparkville.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29


Pat was fairly big in the early 80's.(remember "Boom Boom out go the Lights", "Crash and Burn"?) He actually played the Civic center here in 1982. 30 years later this is a much smaller place. 
Frankly, it is not a great place to see a band. The stage faces out to a bunch of pool tables and a small dance floor. The rest of the bar is to the left of the stage. It is where the main bar is any seating that there is. It is in need of a redesign. Not sure if I will get to the show. Need to find out how much the cover is....






Without much hoopla, Bob Dylan is coming to Salisbury,Md to the Wicomico Civic Center.
 He's played there a couple of times over the years. I found out after tickets already went on sale so most of the good seats were gone. I was planning to go by myself and then head on to Ocean City, a half an hour from Salisbury.



A few days later I checked back and was shocked to see one ticket in the Left front section in about the fifth or sixth row.  I snatched it up. I have seen Bob Dylan twice before, 1988 and last summer. This will be the second time I have seen him in the first 5 or six rows. (1988 was the first). I realize he is 71 years old and not quite what he was, but one day he won't be here anymore...
I am a fan of his guitar player, Charlie Sexton. It will cool to see Charlie play up that close. I hope to take some pics but have a suspicion Dylan's people will have the security people stopping anyone from taking photos...




I've got a good ticket to see Joe Walsh on August 13th at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Va. Joe's new album is great and he has really been making the rounds promoting on TV, radio and podcasts. He is one of my musical heroes. I saw him once open for Stevie Nicks in 1983 but it was at the Capital Centre and I was far from the stage. I expect this to be really good and worth the after work drive.



http://www.wolftrap.org/Home/Find_Performances_and_Events/Performance/12Filene/0813show12.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment