Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Only shades of gray...Davy Jones : an Appreciation

I was shocked and saddened to hear of the passing today of one of my childhood heroes, Davy Jones of the Monkees.
 I was thinking of doing a blog about how great the Monkees were.
I will still do that and argue my case for their musical merits and why they should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but that is for another time...

I was born in 1966, the year the Monkees TV series started, so ,obviously, I was too young to be a fan the first go round. I became a fan thru reruns in 1976-77. The local TV station here would play an episode everyday. I was hooked.
A school friend had turned me onto the Beatles and I was really starting to get in to 60's music.
 I was a fan of comedy as well ; Red Skelton, Tim Conway; Don Knotts,etc..
The Monkees were funny and the songs were great too.
I saved my money and mailed away for a Monkees 8-track tape they advertised during a commercial. This was pre-internet. There was no going online and ordering then getting that week in the mail.
You had to wait the "4-6 weeks for delivery"!
                                                                       Finally it came!
                                                  this is the one! (not my copy, it's long gone..)
      
Davy had been a jockey when he was young. He had a career as a stage actor. He was even part of a company of "Oliver" that appeared on the same Ed Sullivan Show that the Beatles debuted on! He also put out an album in 1965 that didn't do anything.

Davy was already signed to Screen Gems Studios and was the first one cast for the Monkees.
 He didn't have to audition.                                 
                                                              his "screen test"
             
 Davy was the one all the girls loved and he seem to always love them back falling hard  usually with stars in his eyes.
                             


                                                            

                       "Look Out Here Comes tomorrow"    (wrttien by Neil Diamond)
                      

                                                      
                                                                                     
              Davy was always more a song and dance man than a rock n roller.
                                             More "Anthony Newley" than "Elvis"...
                                          
                                   "Cuddly Toy" written by Harry Nilson

                                                    


                                      ....  Still he was a charming and funny guy. 
  



                         All of the Monkees were cool guys.
                                          I loved the Monkees and still do....



                                       R.I.P. Davy..thanks for the memories....
                                           
When the world and I were young, just yesterday,
Life was such a simple game, a child could play.
It was easy then to tell right from wrong,
Easy then to tell weak from strong,
When a man should stand and fight or just go along.
But today there is no day or night,
Today there is no dark or light,
Today there is no black or white, only shades of gray.
                              
                               



                                                      
         
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment